The Legal Aid Society today launched an online hub for critical CoViD-19 resources and information for clients and low-income communities in New York City. The new website, located here, will feature the latest news on essential services and court closures to keep individuals up-to-date during this unprecedented public health crisis. The Legal Aid Society remains open for business, although physical offices throughout the five boroughs are closed in accordance with the Governor’s order.
“We are committed to serving our clients and communities during this uncertain and distressing time,” said Janet Sabel, CEO and Attorney-in-Chief of The Legal Aid Society. “The health and safety of all New Yorkers is paramount and our new online resource hub will disseminate vital information about the courts, benefits and services available to help our communities manage during the CoViD-19 crisis.”
The website will be regularly updated with information regarding:
- Legal Aid Offices (all boroughs) Schedules and Updates;
- New York State Court Schedules and Closures—including Criminal, Family, Housing, Immigration, Civil, and Supreme Court, among others;
- Resources for NYCHA and Section 8 Residents;
- Eviction Moratoriums;
- Medicaid and Health Insurance – Special Enrollment Period in NYS;
- Public Assistance In-Person Appointments;
- Social Security Administration Office Closures;
- Emergency Paid Sick Time and Unemployment Insurance;
- Student and Medical Debt Payments;
- Resources for Families with Children;
- Resources for Small Business;
- and more.
The Legal Aid Society is committed to continuing to serve clients during the CoViD-19 pandemic. Clients in need of assistance can continue to call the main number at 212-577-3300. Indicate you need legal assistance and your call will be forwarded to an operator who will assist you.
About The Legal Aid Society
The Legal Aid Society exists for one simple yet powerful reason: to ensure that New Yorkers are not denied their right to equal justice because of poverty. For over 140 years, we have protected, defended, and advocated for those who have struggled in silence for far too long. Every day, in every borough, The Legal Aid Society changes the lives of our clients and helps improve our communities.
For more inforation, please visit here.