This beautiful fieldstone farmhouse, built in 1758 by Isaac Valentine and located in the Norwood section of Bronx, is the borough’s second oldest house and oldest remaining farmhouse.
The house remained in the Varian family, which included Isaac Varian, New York’s 63rd Mayor until 1905, when it was sold. It is currently a part of the Historic House Trust and houses the Museum of Bronx History.
During the Revolutionary War, the House was occupied by Hessian, British and American troops and survived the war despite a series of battles fought nearby. The House’s role in the Revolutionary war was documented in a book published in 1983. The house withstood significant vandalism in the 1960s when it was being converted for use into a museum. Since its conversion it has held a number of exhibits related to Bronx and the borough’s history.
The front parlor features a display about the development of Bronx streets and neighborhoods, while two other rooms contain changing exhibitions. There’s also a gift shop with great Bronx souvenirs like the Bronx afghan, a quilt featuring the borough’s most popular visitor attractions (see Souvenirs).
Address: 3266 Bainbridge Bronx
Subway: D Line 205th St., 4 Line Mosholu Park
Hours: 10 am – 4 pm (Sat), 1 pm – 5 pm(Sun)