The Bartow-Pell Mansion is a New York City landmark and museum located in northern portion of Pelham Bay Park in Bronx. Originally the Robert and Marie Lorillard Bartow House, the residence and estate date back to 1654.
The Lords of the Manor of Pelham once owned the home which was later enlarged, renovated and remodeled in the Federal style. The current house was built between 1836 and 1842. Ownership of the house passed between the Bartow and Pell families until it was finally sold to the city in 1888 by descendants of the Bartow family.
The mansion remained unused and empty for years before being leased to the city by Mrs. Charles Frederick Hoffman in 1914 to house the International Garden Club, an organization she had founded to promote formal gardens. The club has since extended its purpose to include the preservation and restoration of the home.
The exterior of the mansion was restored and the formal gardens were constructed from 1914 to 1917. In 1936, Mayor Fiorello La Guardia used the mansion as his summer residence while nearby Orchard Beach was built. The interior of the mansion, furnished with period antiques, reopened to the public as a museum in 1946. The property also includes the Pell family burial plot.
The property was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1978.
A New York City Landmark, the Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum is one of the most beautifully located country seats in the City. The restoration of this Mansion is an outstanding example of effective preservation in New York City.
Address: 895 Shore Road Pelham Bay Park, Bronx, NY
Subway: 6 Line Pelham Bay, take Bx45 Bus Westchester Bee-Line to gates
Hours: Wed 12:00-9:00pm; Thu-Sun 12:00-6:00pm