Firefighters from Ladder 47 rescued two men from an apartment fire in Bronx on July 9, 2011.
“The team did a great job,” said Lt. Tim Sullivan. “They worked under arduous conditions and saved two lives. They should be very proud of themselves.”
A fire was reported on Lafayette Avenue at 7:05 a.m. As firefighters pulled up, they said they saw a column of smoke and frantic civilians, who were screaming that there were people trapped.
Firefighters hurried to the second floor and forced open the door.
The fire was in the living room, to the left of the front door, near the entertainment system.
The firefighters moved past the fire and began their search. Firefighter Ryan Weber found the first victim — a 29-year-old man — behind the couch. A 20-year-old man then was found by Firefighter Douglas Ferretti, face down on the floor of a rear bedroom. The members removed both victims from the apartment and handed them over to EMS members.
Both victims were not breathing and paramedics transported them to Jacobi Hospital in critical condition. Hours later they were reported to be improving.
The fire was placed under control at 7:47 a.m. Fire marshals determined the fire was accidental, electrical. They said smoke alarms were present, but had no batteries.
“The scene was chaotic — with the civilians out front screaming and pointing from the beginning,” Lt. Sullivan said. “But the team did a great job. It was a great feeling.”