The city’s Department of Homeless Services announced Thursday it is cutting ties with Bushwick Economic Development Corporation (BEDCO), the nonprofit that managed the Bronx cluster site where two baby girls were killed by an exploding radiator while they were taking their naps.
Over the next few months, the hotels and cluster-sites provided by BEDCO will be gone or transferred to other providers, according to the city.
The decision was the “result of an ongoing comprehensive review of all aspects of shelter operations,” the city said. On Thursday, the Department of Homeless Services (DHS) released a request for other provider proposals to run BEDCO’s cluster shelter sites, it said. Over the next few months, DHS “will take other measures to phase out BEDCO at hotels.”
BEDCO made front page headlines in December last year when two young girls, a 1- and 2-year-old, were killed by a radiator that exploded in a Bronx cluster housing site that was being operated by the nonprofit agency. The girls suffered first-, second- and third-degree burns over 70 percent of their bodies from the scalding steam. They were rushed to the hospital, where they were pronounced dead.
The building managed by BEDCO where the girls were housed, 720 Hunts Point Avenue, still has 16 active complaints with the Department of Buildings and 26 violations open with the Environmental Control Board, according to public city records.