A massive fire possibly sparked by a fallen candle claimed the lives of three young brothers — one just an infant — as it ripped through their Bronx apartment Friday night, police and witnesses said.
Ten others were hurt, including a critically injured child, as the fast-moving blaze destroyed a second-floor apartment on W. 165th Street near Woodycrest Avenue in Highbridge just after 8:00 p.m.
Elijah Artis, 5, and his brothers Jeremiah Artis, 2, and Michael Turner, 4 months, were killed, police said.
Neighbors said they bore horrified witness to the little boys’ deaths.
Neighbors identified the children’s mother as Tashika Turner, who they say had lit candles for light after ConEdison shut off the apartment’s power.