Detectives say they have identified the brute they say heartlessly yanked a disabled 77-year-old Bronx man out of his wheelchair and onto the ground.
Kevan Seales, 25, has been linked to the Sunday morning attack on Cruger Avenue in Pelham Parkway, Capt. Thomas Alps said in a tweet Wednesday.
“Wanted!!” Alps wrote. “The elderly assault suspect has been identified as Kevan Seales.”
Seales allegedly approached victim George Barreto near Mace Avenue about 7:30 a.m. and, after talking to the man for a few moments, pulled him out of his wheelchair.
Then, in an unexpected move, Seales picked Barreto up and placed him back in his wheelchair.
Barreto wheeled away and went to Jacobi Hospital, where doctors learned he had suffered a shattered pelvis and internal injuries.
Seales was with a group of young men who encircled and taunted Barreto before he was thrown onto the concrete. “They were just doing this for kicks, beating the hell out of him for kicks,” Barreto’s outraged daughter, Miriam Tanguay, 47, said earlier this week.
“To break a huge bone like the pelvis, at his age, it could’ve killed him.”
Sales has been described as black, about 6-foot tall and 130 pounds. At the time of the incident, he was wearing a red Puma jacket, a grey hoodie and dark pants and sneakers.
Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to call the NYPD‘s Crime Stoppers hotline at 1–800–577–TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1–888–57–PISTA (74782). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers’ website or by texting their tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577.
All tips will be kept strictly confidential.