Title: Counselor, Sexual Violence (Part-time)
Start Date: October 01, 2019
Organizational Overview: Founded in 2000, the New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault’s mission is to prevent sexual violence and reduce the harm it causes through education, research and advocacy. The Alliance works closely with the city’s rape crisis programs and hospitals, District Attorney’s Offices, New York Police Department, court officials, colleges and universities, as well as city leaders to develop and implement best practices and policies, raise public awareness, and create sustainable change for survivors.
Since 2014, the Alliance has housed a NYS OVS funded direct service program, Alliance for Advocacy, that assists victims of sexual violence. Our program specifically addresses two critical areas of need, 1) many survivors contact the Alliance immediately after an assault for information and support. Survivors are referred by our direct services team to area rape crisis centers, solidifying a long-held role for the Alliance as a referral hub; and 2) advanced systems advocacy to those who are not receiving the help they need from various system entities. By providing crisis-counseling, support, system advocacy, and accompaniment to important agency appointments, we complement the services provided by area rape crisis centers.
Position Description: This is a part-time position (4 days/week) providing individual counseling and advocacy for sexual violence survivors. The position is based in our downtown Manhattan office with travel to either the Brooklyn or Bronx Family Justice Center once a week. Weekly supervision will be provided.
- Conduct initial screenings and psychosocial assessments, create treatment plans and counseling goals, provide weekly counseling, and keep accurate up-to-date case notes
- Provide advocacy with law enforcement, schools, health providers, and other relevant agencies; provide accompaniment as necessary
- Provide services at the Family Justice Center (Bronx or Brooklyn) at least one day a week; collaborate with on-site partners
- Track data as required and complete quarterly reports
- Answer helpline calls (9am-5pm M-F) and hold walk-in hours (10am to 2pm) once a week
- Develop and maintain relationships with Rape Crisis Programs in NYC
- Assist with trainings and participate in panels when required
- Participate in staff meetings
- LMSW, LMHC or related qualification
- Experience working in the field of sexual violence providing counseling, advocacy and facilitating groups
- Experience answering helpline and managing acute crisis situations with clients
- Excellent organizational capabilities to keep track of necessary data and case notes
- Ability to work well independently as well as collaboratively in a team
- Sensitivity to the impact of sexual violence in diverse and marginalized communities and the ability to articulate these concerns with regards to sexual violence in a sensitive and respectful manner
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume in a single pdf document to email@example.com. Please indicate “Counselor, Sexual Violence” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to large volume of responses received, we are unable to provide candidacy status on an individual basis. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to cultural diversity, diversity of gender expression and open to candidates of all ages and physical ability. We strongly encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply.