162-Year Bronx Parish Closes

Published on January 29, 2012, 12:16 pm
FavoriteLoadingAdd to favorites 40 secs

The parish of St. Augustine’s Church, which was founded in 1849 in the Morrisania section of the Bronx, is celebrating its last Mass today.

The Roman Catholic parish has been holding Mass inside a school auditorium since the actual church building was closed in 2009.

Next month, St. Augustine’s will merge with Our Lady of Victory Church about a mile away.

According to officials, a bus will be provided for parishioners who have no other way to get to the new church.

 

NYC DOF - Deed Fraud
Jonas Bronck is the pseudonym under which we publish and manage the content and operations of The Bronx Daily.™ | Bronx.com - the largest daily news publication in the borough of "the" Bronx with over 1.5 million annual readers. Publishing under the alias Jonas Bronck is our humble way of paying tribute to the person, whose name lives on in the name of our beloved borough.