New Settlement Apartments is a not-for-profit housing & community service organization, located in southwest Bronx, with a 26-year track record of active commitment to neighborhood revitalization and community development.
An integral part of the progressive housing philosophy embraced by New Settlement is that “housing is not just bricks and mortar.” Our mission is not only to rebuild and maintain a sizeable portion of the housing stock in this neighborhood, but also to support the rebuilding of its social capital. New Settlement currently provides year-round educational, cultural and recreational programs and social services to 12,500 youth and adults who live in the surrounding area.
The purpose of this position is to manage the New Settlement YouthBuild program. The New Settlement YouthBuild program will provide basic education, HSE preparation, personal development, community service and construction training to at-risk young adults (ages 17-24) seeking to transform their lives and become productive, contributing members to the economic and social vitality of their communities.
- Hiring and supervising program staff;
- Organizing and managing internal program operations, including monitoring daily functioning of program operations and reviewing attendance and payroll documentation for program staff and participants;
- Managing all relevant licensing, evaluation of program staff, supervision of all program site visits, and development of accurate and timely program reports, proposals and contract submissions;
- Managing contracts between YouthBuild students and New Settlement YouthBuild, including: 1) facilitating regular meetings with all students on the status of their contract; 2) ensuring that student records are complete and accurate; 3) overseeing student counseling and taking disciplinary action as necessary ; and 4) monitoring program budgets in collaboration with agency management staff;
- Developing systems to improve program operations and coordination and collaboration among staff and with community partners;
- Managing educational and counseling program components and supervising the teaching and counseling staff;
- Planning and organizing recognition events and awards ceremonies;
- Assisting with the evaluation of program’s effectiveness;
- Ensuring that the program operates with adequate resources to best serve the needs of students and staff, which includes program supplies, sufficient facilities space for instruction, participation incentives, supportive services, etc.;
- Supporting the role of the Student Leadership Team (i.e. Policy Council) and incorporating community partners into the program structure;
- Ensuring that the YouthBuild philosophy and program components are being faithfully carried out by all staff and students;
- Planning and supervise Student Orientation and Graduation and Transitional Services for students.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Minimum of a bachelor degree in non-profit management, social work, adult education, youth development or related field;
- 5 years’ progressive experience in young adult counseling, alternative education or workforce development preferably in a community-based setting;
- Broad knowledge in the field of career training and juvenile justice;
- Understanding of socially relevant issues impacting youthful offenders and low-income urban communities;
- Significant managerial experience working in a diverse ethnic setting;
- Strong organizational skills and verbal, written and communication skills;
- Computer literacy, including knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
Salary and benefits: Salary commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package, including 401(k). EEO/AA.
Mail cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to:
New Settlement Apartments
YouthBuild Director Search
1512 Townsend Avenue
Bronx, NY 10452
or e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
No faxes or phone calls, please. Applications will be reviewed as they are received; this position is available immediately. EEO/AA