The Morrison Av-Soundview, and Whitlock Av stations will be closed February 8 through September 13, 2010 for rehabilitation. They are the first two of five stations on the Pelham 6 line scheduled for work. The others are Parkchester, St. Lawrence Av and Elder Av.
• Install new canopies over stairways and platforms
• Make major structural repairs to platforms, columns, and the track area
• Rehabilitate the stairs and railings between the street and platform
• Reconfigure the area around the station to facilitate passenger flow
• Refurbish the mezzanine and platform floors
• Replace ADA tactile warning strips and platform edge
• Install new electrical work and vandal-resistant fluorescent lightingv
• Repair walls and paint station and track area
• Install a new high-quality public address system.
Parkchester will be done in two sections:
The Pelham Bay Park-bound side of the station will start in late March 2010 and last for about 3 months. Once that side is complete, the Manhattan-bound side will start and will also last for about 3 months.
St. Lawrence Avenue and Elder Avenue will follow in 2011.
From the Morrison Avenur – Soundview and Whitlock Avenue stations, take the Bx4 bus to travel to Elder Avenue 6 station or the Simpson 2 & 5 station. Between the hours of 12:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m., the Bx4 operates every 20 minutes and only for these 4 stops: Simpson St. at Westchester Avenue, Whitlock Avenue at Westchester Avenue, Elder Avenue at Westchester Avenue and Morrison Avenue – Soundview at Westchester Avenue.
The bus ride is free from these stops.