On March 24, 2021, Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz, Jr. attended the groundbreaking of the New York State Regional Food Hub in the Bronx. This food hub is a joint city and state effort, and will offer job creation and expand access to fresh produce in our borough and beyond.
It will aid in the following key solutions:
- bringing higher food quality;
- helping individual farmers achieve sufficient volume of produce to meet the scale needed by distributors;
- efficient transportation to streamline supply chains;
- appropriate storage, processing and distribution space;
- connections between producers and buyers;
- source identification and traceability;
- access to capital;
- minimizing start-up and growth costs;
- reducing inequity and improving access;
- inclusive planning and decision-making.
Prior to the pandemic, many Bronx residents suffered from food insecurity, and CoViD-19 has exacerbated this. Borough President Diaz has allocated funding towards this project, which will benefit local farmers, create true living wage jobs and aid in providing access to healthy food for our most vulnerable communities during this global crisis and for years to come.