DEP Prejudiced Against Bronxites?

Published on October 14, 2009, 12:11 pm
FavoriteLoadingAdd to favorites 28 secs

Jerome Park has always had its share of fans.

Since it was acquired by the city in 1940, the North Bronx patch of greenery, which rests adjacent to the Jerome Park Reservoir, has provided numerous Bronx High School of Science and Lehman College students with a place to read and walk.

It was reported in the media that the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is not allowing the Parks Department to add a jogging trail along the water’s edge. It seems the DEP technically controls the land, which is part of the city’s water system and responsible for providing the city with 10% of its water, while the other 90% comes from the Delaware and Catskill watter supply systems.

The DEP says it fears that increasing public access to the reservoir could result in tainting the water. But some Bronxites are saying Westchester residents have complete access to the Kensico Reservoir in Valhalla, NY. Anne Marie Garti, head of the Jerome Park Conservancy, speculated in front of the press that the city agency is being prejudiced against the local population.


Jonas Bronck is the pseudonym under which we publish and manage the content and operations of The Bronx Daily.™ | - the largest daily news publication in the borough of "the" Bronx with over 1.5 million annual readers. Publishing under the alias Jonas Bronck is our humble way of paying tribute to the person, whose name lives on in the name of our beloved borough.