The Van Cortlandt House Museum, the oldest building in The Bronx, New York City, was built by Frederick Van Cortlandt (1699 – 1749), a merchantile family prominent in New York affairs, established a grain plantation and grist mill on the property, in 1748, a mansion for the Van Cortlandt family built in Yonkers, of fieldstone, in Georgian style.
He died before its completion and willed it to his son, James Van Cortlandt (1727 – 1787). After 140 years of occupancy by the Van Cortlandt family and their slaves, in 1889 the property was sold to the City of New York and made a public parkland. The house has been operated as a public museum since 1897.
Address: Broadway at West 246th St., Bronx
Subway: 1 Line 242nd St.
Hours: Tue-Fri 10:00am-3:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:00am-4:00pm