Our Children First, a multidisciplinary and multicultural facility providing Speech, Occupational, and Physical Therapy both in the facility located at 3036 E. Tremont Avenue, and in the children’s home throughout New York City.
Our Children First has been providing a variety of Evaluations, Consultations and Treatments for disorders such as: Articulation, Phonology, Language, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Down Syndrome, and Prematurity, Motor-Cognitive-Developmental delays, Sensory Integration and Feeding disorders.
Who we are:
Michelle M. Sanchez is a Clinical director of Our Children First. She received her BA from Fordham University and MA in Speech Language Pathology from St. John’s University. She has developed an expertise with children exhibiting a variety of disorders including feeding and sensory disorders, learning disabilities, delayed language acquisition and fluency. She continues to engage in further professional education to stay current on new research and therapeutic interventions.
Xochil Waddell is a Speech-Language Pathologist with vast experience working across the age-span helping her students maximize their communication abilities. She received her MA from Long Island University and maintains her New York State License. Xochil currently works full time at NYC Department of Education treating children on the autism spectrum disorder and with the early intervention program treating children with PDD, autism, sensory processing disorders, and general speech and language disabilities.
Both Michelle and Xochil bring their love of children of all ages and dynamic teaching abilities to every child they work with.
What the program is about:
– Baby Chat is a weekly multi-sensory learning group intended to facilitate social development through active play for infants and toddlers (9 month-3 year olds).
– Each group will be led by two Speech Language Pathologists.
– Your child will learn to take turns, ask for help, initiate communication with peers and adults, and express wants/needs appropriately.
– Your child will learn this through play with hands on activities, structured movement, art, drama, and music activities.
– Your child will learn how to make friends in a nurturing and therapeutic environment.
How the program is designed:
– We construct a plan with parents to individualize program based on child’s strength and weaknesses.
– Each group will consist of 3-5 children paired based on age and need.
– Parents are welcomed to sit in on sessions; however child independence is encouraged.
– Child’s progress is assessed ongoing and adjusted as needed.
Who would benefit:
– Children who have limited exposure to peers.
– Students WITH OR WITHOUT a formal diagnosis of PDD, Autism, sensory processing disorder, etc.
– Chidren who have been denied early intervention services.
– Children who enjoy playing alone and lack peer interaction.
– Students who have meltdowns and poor coping skills and cannot share, negotiate, compromise, cooperate or be a “team player.”
Our price is affordable and is only $40 per session.
Contact clinical director, Michelle M. Sanchez at 718-823-3190 ext. 304 to sign your child for the fall-winter semester. The first session begins Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 12:00pm. Space is limited and filling up quickly.
The address and contact information are:
Our Children First, Inc.
3036 E. Tremont Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461