The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) will offer extra rail service on Tuesday, July 03, to help customers to travel to Fourth of July holiday activities. On Thursday, July 04, the MTA’s railroads, subways and buses will operate on weekend schedules.
More details are below.
Wednesday, July 3: Get Away With the Long Island Rail Road, Metro-North Railroad and Staten Island Railway
The LIRR and Metro-North will provide additional early-afternoon service from Manhattan on Tuesday, July 03, for customers planning an early getaway.
Staten Island Railway customers looking to get a head start on the Fourth of July holiday will be able to catch earlier afternoon express train service on Wednesday, July 03, with SIR’s Early Departure Getaway schedule. Extra SIR trains will be added earlier in the afternoon beginning at 02:30 p.m. from the St. George Ferry Terminal.
Service for Thursday, July 4
New York City Subway
On Thursday, July 04, subways will operate on a Saturday schedule. There will be increased subway service on the and 42nd Street Shuttle prior to and following the Macy’s fireworks celebration, which will originate from four barges south of the Brooklyn Bridge, from Pier 17 to the Manhattan Heliport between 09:25 p.m. and 09:50 p.m. There will also be firework shows around 09:25 p.m. at Exchange Place, Jersey City, and around 09:45 p.m. in Coney Island, Brooklyn.
In the event that crowds grow in Battery Park and Battery Park City as a result of these shows, service will operate via the Montague tunnel beginning at 06:00 p.m. in both directions from 36 Street to Canal Street, to provide additional service at the Whitehall Street and Rector Street stations. Customers are reminded that some subway lines are rerouted or do not operate on Saturdays.
The following service changes will be in effect on Thursday, July 04 through early Friday morning, July 05:
- trains will bypass the Wall St and Clark Street stations in both directions between 07:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. As an alternative, use the nearby Borough Hall or Bowling Green stations instead.
- service will run between Bowling Green and Eastchester-Dyre Av, and trains will run local in Bronx.
- express service is suspended. Use local trains instead.
- trains will not run. Use the and/or
- trains will operate every 8 minutes from 08:30 p.m. Thursday, July 04 to 01:30 a.m. Friday, July 05.
- use local service instead of skip-stop service
- The Project is ongoing. trains will operate every 4 to 6 minutes between 05:00 a.m. and 08:00 p.m.; with reduced frequency between 08:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.; and every 20 minutes after 10:00 p.m. between Lorimer Street and 8 Avenue.
- trains will run between Metropolitan Av and Delancey Street – Essex Sreet between 06:00 a.m. and 08:30 p.m., and between Metropolitan Avenue and the 96 Street station from 08:30 p.m. Thursday, July 04, to 01:30 a.m. Friday, July 05
- trains will not run. Use the or
New York City Buses
Buses operated by MTA New York City Transit and the MTA Bus Company will operate on a Saturday schedule on Thursday, July 04. Many routes do not operate on Saturdays or do not run on part of the route at certain hours. Bus customers traveling on the July 04 should check Saturday schedules, lines and routes. The following bus routes may be affected by street closures or detours: M9; M14A/D SBS; M15; M15 SBS; M20 SBS; M21; M22; M55; M103; B25; B61; B62; B63; B67; B69; BM1; BM2; BM3 and BM4.
Staten Island Railway
On the Fourth of July, the Staten Island Railway will operate on a Saturday schedule.
MTA Bridges and Tunnels
MTA Bridges and Tunnels will suspend all lane closures related to routine maintenance and temporary construction work beginning at 01:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 03, through the end of the morning rush on Friday, July 05, to accommodate motorists traveling for the Fourth of July holiday.