Departmental Trial Begins For NYPD Officer Who Fatally Shot Bronx Teen In 2012

Posted on January 17, 2017, 2:26 am
FavoriteLoadingAdd to favorites 50 secs

A departmental trial is underway for the NYPD officer who fatally shot an unarmed Bronx teen in his home.

Richard Haste was part of a group of officers following Ramarley Garaham back in February 2012.

They believed the 18-year-old was involved in a drug deal and chased him to his apartment in Wakefield.

Once inside, Haste shot and killed Graham.

He said he believed Graham had a gun, and two officers testified that they also thought he was armed. 

No weapon was ever found.

Graham’s family says they can’t believe nearly half a decade has gone by without any consequences.

“He broke in to my home. He shot my son, in front of his brother, a 6-year-old, and his grandmother. Richard Haste threatened to kill, to shoot my mom. And today, as we see in court, none of that has been talked about, and will not be talked about,” said Constance Malcolm, Graham’s mother.

“Ramarley Graham did nothing but walk down his own block. Ramarley Graham did nothing but be a young black man in the Bronx,” said City Councilman Andy King of the Bronx.

Haste was previously indicted by a grand jury, but that was tossed out. A second grand jury chose to not indict him.

He has been on modified duty and could be fired depending on the trial’s outcome.

 

Jonas Bronck is the pseudonym under which we publish and manage the content and operations of The Bronx Daily.™ | Bronx.com - the largest daily news publication in the borough of "the" Bronx with over 1.5 million annual readers. Publishing under the alias Jonas Bronck is our humble way of paying tribute to the person, whose name lives on in the name of our beloved borough.