Summer officially breezes in on June 20, and the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance is reminding New Yorkers that some of the best warm-weather activities can be enjoyed free of sales tax.
01. Buy sales tax-free swimwear, sandals, hats, sunscreen, lip balm, prescription sunglasses, or a favorite magazine to browse on the beach.
02. Unwind at one of New York State’s 180 beautiful parks, from the boardwalk of Jones Beach in Long Island to the Cave of the Winds at Niagara Falls State Park.
03. Visit your county fair for the exhibits, entertainment, and festivities.
04. Play a round of golf at one of New York State’s 28 golf courses, from Bethpage State Park on Long Island to the wide fairways of Beaver Island State Park on the Niagara River.
05. Bask in the rich heritage at New York’s historic sites or historical homes and gardens.
06. Create a backyard oasis with a new deck, sunroom, or swimming pool. These examples are considered capital improvements, which aren’t taxable.
07. Go on a NYS camping adventure. Buy some fishing waders or hiking boots for the occasion, and don’t forget marshmallows to toast around the campfire.
08. Fire up the grill. Most food bought to grill, hot dogs and hamburgers included, are exempt from sales tax.
09. Sail away. Take a sailing or surf lesson, or get a bird’s-eye view of the scenery with a parasail ride—all free of sales tax charges.
10. Enjoy dramatic or musical arts performances, or head to the air-conditioned multiplex for the latest movie blockbuster.