The AWP Network recently launched a photography contest to showcase how African youths view entrepreneurship in their local communities. Mary Olushoga, AWP Network founder states, “we believe that any African anywhere in the world can make a difference and an impact in their local community. We want young Africans to know that their voice matters.”
To participate in the contest, you do not need to be a professional photographer. In addition, there are prizes to be won. You may use a professional camera or any mobile device. Using five (5) of your original, innovative, and creative photographs, tell your story and show through pictures either of the following: (1) what it means to be an entrepreneur in your local community (2) what entrepreneurship means to you (3) that captures the soul of your small business or (4) of an entrepreneur or business that you admire. Application deadline is: Thursday, August 22, 2013. Visit here for more details.
Meet the Photo Competition Judges:
1. Mametja Moshe, (Johannesburg, South Africa) is Executive Director at Identity Mineral Resources (Pty) Ltd., an African mining investment company. Before joining the Identity group of companies, Mametja worked as an Investment Banker at Morgan Stanley covering the South African, Zambian, and Nigerian Mergers & Acquisitions and Equity capital markets for the mining industry. Mametja has also worked at UBS covering South African Mergers and Acquisitions. Prior to her Investment Banking career, Mametja spent five years at KPMG Inc. serving her auditing articles in the Consumer Products team and later joined the corporate tax team.
Mametja has sat on the boards of EuroDollar Foreign Exchange (Pty) Ltd and Southgold Exploration (Pty) Ltd. She obtained a B. Com Hons (Accounting) and a B. Com Hons. (Management Accounting) degrees from the University of Kwazulu Natal. Mametja is a qualified Chartered Accountant and a graduate of the Global Executive MBA Program at Columbia Business School and London Business School.
2. Kolawole Oyeneyin, (Lagos, Nigeria) is CEO of Venia Consulting, a business startup and strategy consulting company that provides access to various business development resources, as well as serviced and virtual office spaces for entrepreneurs, SMEs, and multi-nationals. Venia Hub has featured on BBC’s ‘Hubs in Africa’ – a showcase of Africa’s innovation and creativity. Prior to this, Kola worked as an Analyst at Electronic Data Systems (EDS) and as a Senior Business Analyst for Hewlett-Packard (HP), UK.
In 2009, he moved back to Nigeria to run one of Nigeria’s prestigious international schools – Lekki British School. Kola graduated with Honors in Computer Science from the University of Nottingham, UK. He is a member of the British Computer Society and an Associate of the Nigeria Leadership Initiative (NLI). He sits on the Board of the Redeemers Business School (RBS) and was nominated ‘Entrepreneur of the Year’ by The Future Awards.
3. Mara van den Bold, (Washington DC., USA) has worked in international development for over five (5) years. Starting her career in the water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) sector with an international NGO based in London, UK where Mara gained experience in strategy development, project management, and partnership development across the African continent.
She currently works as a Research Analyst at the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in Washington DC, where she contributes to research exploring women’s empowerment in relation to improved nutrition and health, particularly in Africa and South Asia. With a background in anthropology and development studies (MSc Anthropology and Development Studies, London School of Economics ’08), Mara has always had an interest in understanding how- in different contexts – people set out to realize their aspirations, with what resources, and why. This, combined with a personal affinity for photography, means that she is very excited to be judging the AWP Network’s photo competition!
4. Reginald Bassey, (FCT Abuja, Nigeria) holds a Master’s degree in Public Administration (MPA) with a concentration in Public Affairs and Policy from the City University of New York (Baruch College). He earned a Bachelor’s degree in International Relations from Covenant University in Nigeria. Reginald is a writer and has contributed to various magazines and online media. He maintains a blog at http://www.calabarboy.com, where he writes on different issues ranging from leadership to personal effectiveness.
He is deeply passionate about a new Nigeria where citizens are highly valued and given equal opportunity to have a progressive life. He currently works as a public policy adviser and a community organizer for local and marginalized communities, and serves as a Senior Legislative Aide and Chief of Staff in the House of Representatives at the National Assembly, Abuja.
5. Ruky Okotcha, (Lagos, Nigeria) has often been described as a “private individual with public interests.” Ruky’s vision is to see every person live their lives and tap into the potential that is already within them, and create a chain of goodwill, success, and community spirit. Ruky has served local communities through non-profit organizations for Entrepreneurship, Leadership, Education, and Healthcare in Lagos and South Africa through the Nigeria Leadership Initiative, Generation Enterprise, and the Slum to School Project.
Ruky joined Whitbread PLC as a Management Analyst in 2008 and the Nigerian Stock Exchange as a Research Analyst in 2012. More recently, Ruky has spent a year sabbatical traveling through Europe, Africa, and Asia documenting life, people, and culture with an iPhone and hopes to publish a photo essay. She will begin a Masters in Public Affairs at Sciences Po, Paris in August 2013.
6. John Ajah, (Lagos, Nigeria) is a seasoned Information System Analyst with a background in Electrical/Electronic Engineering from Covenant University. With over 5 years of experience providing tailored and adapted software solutions for business operations for firms in the oil servicing, financial, and logistics sectors.
John has worked on a wide range of information system projects – designing and developing basic applications to handling business processes and implementing complex business solutions like enterprise resource planning systems. He currently works at Templeton Business Solutions Ltd as an Information Systems Consultant.
Ijeoma Genevieve Mbamalu
7. Ijeoma Genevieve Mbamalu, (New York City, USA) founded MUI – The PR Company (MUIPR) to strategically advise clients on how they can be successful within their distinct markets. Under her direction, MUIPR utilizes ethically driven approaches to responsibly represent brands and their interests effectively. In addition to PR, Genevieve has a strong background in quantitative marketing and scientific research, with specific training in behavior change communications, analytic demand modeling, new lead prioritization for priority market segments, and public health research. She has engineered research and evaluation efforts for various brands in NYC and co-authored original empirical work in top tier journals on a number of topics. She has also led studies that have examined the impact of ad campaigns on the attitudes, perceptions, and behavioral intentions of target audiences in NYC. Genevieve holds dual Masters Degrees from Boston University and Columbia University.
8. Kolawole Osinowo, (Lagos, Nigeria) is Key Account Manager for West Africa at Nokia where he co-creates with peers on disruptive innovations – working with mobile telecommunications operators across Africa. An IT Professional with over eight (8) years of experience in software engineering, web development, mobile technology, service management, digital marketing, retail sales, strategic account, management consultancy, and training. Kola holds a Bachelor’s degree in Electronics and Computer Engineering. Kola has been recognized by the Junior Chamber International (JCI) with the Training Fellow Award. He is a Certified World Bank Institute Social Innovator and was recently selected as a Crans Montana New Leader. In 2008 and 2010 he was nominated as “Professional of the Year” at the Future Nigeria Awards.
9. Chamese Bennett, (Los Angeles, CA) graduated from Clark Atlanta University where she studied Business Administration and Marketing. She works in marketing and events with a concentration on creative strategies, business development, and project management within the creative industry (art, design, & fashion). With a diverse background that ranges from advertising, art, and entrepreneurship, Chamese aspires to be a role model for young people following in her footsteps. She is inspired by travel, music, and reading an inspirational book on her rooftop. In addition to her career, Chamese is an avid mentor and advocate of creative and non-traditional career paths. Currently, she resides in Los Angeles and enjoys photography – her blog, Alternative Surreality
Mary Olushoga – AWP Network