Home | Local

Local

image

Fonthill Castle

Fonthill Castle was built in 1852 for Edwin Forrest, one of this country's leading nineteenth-century actors. The site, with its breathtaking view of the river, was the consummate setting for the castle that he and his wife intended to build for their country residence.

 

image

Bronx Hall Of Justice

Located on 161st and 162nd Streets between Sherman and Morris Avenues, the Hall of Justice is a visually dynamic glass building where judicial transparency is not only a metaphor but also quite literal. With forty-seven courtrooms, seven grand jury rooms, the Department of Corrections, the Department of Probation, and the Bronx District Attorney's office, it is one of the largest courthouses in the country.
image

Bronx Housing Court

The Bronx Housing Court at 118 Grand Concourse is one of the few contemporary buildings to appear on the avenue in an area known for its concentration of Art Deco and Art Moderne apartment buildings. Forced by a narrow site to rise considerably above the ordinary building line, it makes amends by trimming its southern wing to the height of an older six-story apartment house alongside, and tucking in its north frontage to match that of its other neighbor.
image

Eighth Regiment Armory

The Eighth Regiment Armory, also known as the Kingsbridge Armory, was constructed between 1912 to 1917 in Bronx, New York. The Armory was built to house the National Guard's Eighth Coastal Artillery Regiment unit which relocated from Manhattan in 1917....
Full story
image

Van Cortlandt Park

The land that Van Cortlandt Park now occupies was once a vast grain plantation, owned by Frederick Van Cortlandt (1699–1749) and family. In 1748, he built what is now known as the Van Cortlandt House on the property, but died before its completion. Frederick willed the massive home and surrounding lands to his son, James Van Cortlandt (1727–1787)....
Full story
image

Van Cortlandt House

The Van Cortlandt House Museum, the oldest building in The Bronx, New York City, was built by Frederick Van Cortlandt (1699 - 1749), a merchantile family prominent in New York affairs, established a grain plantation and grist mill on the property, in 1748, a mansion for the Van Cortlandt family built in Yonkers, of fieldstone, in Georgian style....
Full story
image

Bronx Park

Bronx Park boasts some of the city’s most beautiful outdoor space and ecologically diverse wildlife. A myriad of plants and animals make their habitat along the Bronx River and in the park’s forests. The vastness of the park and the diversity of its flora and fauna make Bronx Park one of the true hidden gems of New York City....
Full story
image

Crotona Park

Named after the Greek colony of Croton, known for its Olympic athletes, Crotona Park has served the Bronx community steadily since its purchase by the City in 1888. Among naturalists, the park is widely known for its variety of tree species (28 in all) and gorgeous 3.3-acre lake, which serves as home to turtles, ducks, and fish....
Full story
image

Sound View Park

Called the "Gateway to the Bronx River," Soundview Park is situated where the Bronx River opens into the East River. When the City of New York acquired the original 93 acres of land for this park in 1937, the entire area was composed of marshland....
Full story
image

Downing Memorial Stadium

Downing Stadium, previously known as Triborough Stadium and Randall's Island Stadium, was a 22,000-seat football stadium in the city of New York. Built in 1934 on Randall's Island in the East River as a WPA project....
Full story
image

Mott Haven East Historic District

The District is located on East 139th and East 140th Street between Brook and Willis Avenues. It contains rows of handsome brownstones designed by William O'Gorman and William Hornum in 1883 combining Dutch and Flemish architectural aspects on the north side of E.140th Street and neo-Grecian aspects on the south side of E.140th Street and on E.139th Street....
Full story
image

Riverdale Historic District

On the banks of the Hudson River, Riverdale is one of New York's most beautiful residential communities. Winding, tree-lined roads lead to grand homes and estates, some of which occasionally host concerts by the Bronx Arts Ensemble....
Full story
image

Woodlawn Cemetery

Located in Bronx, Woodlawn Cemetery is one of the largest cemeteries in New York City. It opened as a rural cemetery in 1863, out in "the country," in what was then southern Westchester County, which was annexed to New York City in 1874....
Full story
image

Valentine-Varian House

This beautiful fieldstone farmhouse, built in 1758 by Isaac Valentine and located in the Norwood section of Bronx, is the borough's second oldest house and oldest remaining farmhouse....
Full story
image

Lehman Art Gallery

The building designed by the renowned architect Marcel Breuer houses an important center for the visual arts....
Full story
image

Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum

The Bartow-Pell Mansion is a New York City landmark and museum located in northern portion of Pelham Bay Park in Bronx. Originally the Robert and Marie Lorillard Bartow House, the residence and estate date back to 1654....
Full story
image

City Island

City Island is a small island approximately 1.5 mi (2.4 km) long by .5 mi (1 km) wide. At one time attached to the town of Pelham, Westchester County, it is now part of the New York City borough of the Bronx....
Full story
image

Fordham University

Fordham University has three residential campuses: Rose Hill in the Bronx, Lincoln Center in Manhattan, and Marymount in Tarrytown, New York....
Full story
image

Bronx Zoo, Wildlife Conservation Society

The Bronx Zoo is a world-famous zoo in Bronx, New York. It opened on November 8, 1899, with 22 exhibits and 843 animals and with the goal to "advance the study of zoology, protect wildlife, and educate the public."...
Full story
image

Hall Of Fame For Great Americans

The Hall of Fame for Great Americans, is the original "Hall of Fame" in the United States. "Fame" here means "renown" (rather than today's more common meaning of "celebrity"). Its originator, Chancellor Henry Mitchell MacCracken, acknowledged inspiration from the Ruhmeshalle (Hall of Fame) in Munich....
Full story
back 1 2 3 4 5 next total: 84 | displaying: 61 - 80
What's New

Featured Author
image

Edward J. Small

is currently a graduate student at the Columbia School of Journalism. He has previously worked as the editor-in-chief of his college newspaper, The Dickinsonian, and as an editorial intern at America’s most prominent fake newspaper, The Onion. He is a native of Connecticut but currently lives in New York City.